International Delegates

International Delegates

Please note that the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum (CIM) cannot guarantee that you will gain entrance to Canada even if you register for the conference. You are responsible for applying for any documents required of you in order to gain access to the conference.


The Government of Canada requires that all people travelling to Canada hold a valid passport.

The less expensive passport card (for land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry from the United States only) are also accepted. Visit Travel identification when entering Canada for the most up-to-date information concerning passport regulations.

Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada or U.S citizens travelling with a valid Canadian passport or a permanent resident card or a U.S passport can use Automated Border Clearance (ABC) self-serve kiosks when they arrive at major airports in Canada to avoid long lines. Visit Canada Border Services Agency  for a list of airports that offer self-serve kiosks and for more information.

Electronic travel authorization (eTA) or visa

The Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is mandatory for visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to Canada except U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. The eTA is electronically linked to one’s passport and is valid for five years or until your passport
expires. Applying for an eTA is a simple and inexpensive online process that will take just a few minutes. For more information or to see if you need to obtain an eTA, visit Electronic Travel Authorization – Canada.

Guidelines for applying for a visa are available at the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website.

Visa Application Tips & Tricks

  •  Apply for a visa as soon as you decide to attend the conference.
  • Include ALL the requested documents and information in your application. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
  • Include a cover letter explaining the reasons why you are applying, information on your stay in Canada and any other information you think will help your application.
  • Follow-up on your application with the Canadian government agency where you applied for an entry visa.

Letter of invitation – business travel

In some cases, foreign delegates may require a Letter of Invitation to include in a visa application. CIM will provide the letter exclusively to registered paying delegates. Please contact to obtain such a letter for the conference.

Please note that a Letter of Invitation does not guarantee that you will be granted a visa.